We will be publishing International Month quiz questions each week below and in Spokes. Previous weeks answers can be found at the below. See how well you know the globe!
- How many State/Countries belong to the UN in 2019? 193 State/Countries belong to the UN in 2019
- How many State/ Countries belonged to the UN on its formation in 1945? 51 countries belonged to the UN in 1945
- How many State/Country members are on the UN Security Council now? 15 member countries have representation on the UN Security Council
- What Countries are permanent members of the Un Security Council? The USA, Russian Federation, China, UK, & France
- From which Country does the UN Security Council President come? The Dominican Republic
- Currently how many State/Countries do not belong to the UN? 54 States/Countries do not belong to the UN
- What direction does the Panama Canal Run if entering from the Pacific Ocean? The canal runs NW to the Caribbean
- What year did the USA finish building and starting operation of the Panama Canal? 1914, under President Teddy Roosevelt after 10 years of construction.
- The French started the canal before the USA in 1880, but they gave up because of cost and loss of 22,000 workers due to infectious disease. What were the 2 most common diseases that killed them? Yellow Fever & Malaria
- What was the famous USA military Colonial that made it possible to complete the canal with a dramatic decrease in mortality during the 10-year period from 1904 until the opening of the canal? Colonial William Gorgas
- How did we abate the diseases that cost so many French, local and imported worker lives before the USA assumed control? Mosquito abatement was key-through screens & nets, draining standing water, fumigation, and medical care for the workers
- Name 3 Public health interventions that increased the life expectancy from age 54 to 79 over the last 100 years. Any 3 of the following:
- Clean water & sanitation
- Insect Control
- Control of infectious disease
- Improved living conditions
- Improved childhood & maternal care
- Currently the population of the USA is 325 million. What is the population of:
- El Salvador
- Costa Rica
- What is the Capital of Paraguay
- What is the main source of income in Paraguay
- Who is our Rotarian that has led our current education program in Paraguay and has been involved with education there since serving in the Peace Corps 17 years ago?
- How many Schools, Teachers, and Students in Paraguay are currently working with the new curriculum improving reading, and understanding stewarded by our own member Rotarian and supported by our club?
- How many lives have already been impacted in Paraguay by this new approach to learning since it’s inception 4 years ago?